Saturday, May 10, 2008

Invited!

I looked at the invitation in my hand. Jon the Interglactic Gladiator was inviting me to be on Last Gladiator Standing III. Cool beans, I thought.

Checking my watch, I stroll out of my work room and into the pressroom. My favorite pressmen Kirk was up to his elbows in ink. I give him a wide smile and wave the invite at him. "Look at this!"

He looks at his hands first, then takes the fancy invite from me, his fingers leaving marks. "Yeah." He remarked in his usual taciturn style. "What about it?"

I sigh. Why must he always make things so difficult? "Well, would you like to come with me?"

Kirk looks at me like I've lost my mind. Perhaps I have. "I'm not on the invite."

It doesn't escape my attention that he didn't say NO...but he hadn't said YES yet either. I sigh again. "If you look on the back cover..." I wait for him to flip it over. "See, there on the back...it says that the hero's entire entourage can tag along for some of the stuff. Sidekicks, comic relief, lame villians..."

"I get to be your sidekick, huh?" He gives a little laugh.

"Is that a yes?"

"Yeah, but...how're we going to get there? You gonna call that Starbucker fella again?"

"No need," I reply. "Follow me."

"Now? We have a paper to print."

"Oh, let JuneBug do it. He never does anything anyway. Puh-leeeeeze...I don't want to be late."

"Why not?" he asks himself.

Taking that as permission, I turn around and walk back to my work room...checking only once to make sure he was following. Inside, I shut both doors and go to the back corner. I open the bottom file drawer and pull out my recent aquistion. I take Kirk's hand, and press the button.

Immediately we're transported from Earth to my starship.

Kirk looks around. "That was easy."

"When it works," I mutter.

"Now what?" he asked.

I look at him...adorable in his press uniform...and the ink. "Let's get you cleaned up..."

He smiles. "Sounds like fun." He points at my hand, drawing my attention to the fact that now I have ink on myself.

Too bad the Easy Button hadn't taken care of that as well!

5 comments:

Jon the Intergalactic Gladiator said...

Welcome and good luck, you'll need it...

Wasn't that cool how I implied that there was going to be a lot of danger coming up huh? Pretty neat huh huh?

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Very subtle, Ciera. We all need an 'Easy' button. My computer wasn't installed with one.

Erifia Apoc said...

Wait... Can I barrow that for a second?

Nepharia said...

Yeah, the only thing that I have that has an Easy button is my gym and they won't let us press it until we're done (how do you think us Sith stay is such great shape?).

Anonymous said...

Yeah where can we all get an easy button :)

Sorry to say it wont be any easier here on out